Hocking County presents the information on this web site as a service to the public free of charge. We have tried to ensure that the information contained in this electronic document is accurate and up to date. Hocking County reserves the right to make changes and improvements at any time and without notice and makes no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content at this site or at other sites to which we link. Hocking County is not liable for errors, omissions or discrepancies contained on this site.


The purpose of the Probate Court is as follows: 

  • Proper administration of decedent's estates
  • To hear petitions for adoption
  • Grant marriage licenses
  • Determine need for involuntary hospitalization in mental illness cases
  • To hear change of name petitions
  • To direct and control the conduct of fiduciaries in decedent's estates
  • Guardianships
  • Trusts
  • Conservatorships
  • To hear applications for appointment of guardian
  • To grant declaratory judgements
  • To hear complaint as to continuation, use, withdrawal, or withholding life sustaining treatment with persons terminally ill or permanently unconscious state
  • To authorize sale of land and completing of contracts by administrators, executors, or guardians
  • To hear petition for withdrawal of hydration nutrition for certain persons, in permanently unconscious states


FAQ of the Juvenile Court : 

Do I have to appear in court?

Yes. Juveniles and a parent/guardian must attend all court hearings in delinquency, unruly and traffic cases. It is advisable in all other types of cases that parties be present or risk decisions being made without their input.

How long will I be at Court?

The court tries to handle cases on time. Please check in 10 minutes before your scheduled time. There can be unexpected delays. It may be necessary for you and your child to meet with other court personnel following your court hearing. Please allow time in your schedule to be at court longer than you may expect. Your patience is appreciated.

How do I get my court date changed?

You must contact the clerk's office and fill out a form requesting that your court date be continued. This must be approved by the Judge in advance or you are expected to appear at your scheduled date and time. Requests for continuance must be made at least seven (7) days prior to the hearing.

What do I wear to court?

Appropriate dress is required for everyone conducting business with the court. The following list is a guide for dressing:

  • No cut-off or short shorts
  • No Hats
  • Shirts required
  • No midriff tops, no tank tops or strapless tops
  • No offensive language or picture on clothing
  • Shoes required
  • No visible undergarments