WHAT IS CITIZEN CORPS?
Citizen Corps is the grass-roots movement that actively involves everyone in making communities across America safer, stronger, and better prepared. We all have a role to play in keeping our hometowns safe and secure and Citizens Corps helps you to prepare, train, and volunteer.
Citizen Corps also helps promote READY, a public service campaign that urges people to take some basic steps to prepare for potential terrorist attacks and other emergencies: get an emergency supply kit, make a family communication plan, and be informed.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP MY FAMILY AND MY COMMUNITY?
- You can take simple steps to be prepared for emergencies, get training in basic first aid, and volunteer to help local emergency responders. Here are some ways you can get involved through your local Citizen Corps Council:
- Prepare yourself and your family: get a kit, make a family plan, and be informed about potential threats and emergencies. To learn more about how you can prepare, visit www.ready.gov.
- Get connected to disaster volunteer groups through your Citizen Corps Council, so that if something happens, you can help in an organized manner.
- Join a Neighborhood Watch group to help with crime prevention, terrorism awareness, and neighborhood emergency preparedness.
- Learn about volunteer opportunities to support law enforcement through the Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS) program.
- Join a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) to help people immediately after a disaster and to assist emergency responders whenever needed.
- Volunteers with the Medical Reserve Corps to provide public health and medical support throughout the year and during emergencies.
- Provide fire safety and prevention education in the community and help out at your local fire station through Fire Corps.
- Participate in local emergency training and exercises.
- Help others get prepared, especially those with special needs.
What role will YOU play?
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
All over America, communities have organized Citizen Corps Councils to inspire people to take action and get involved in hometown security. Contact your local Council by going to www.citizencorps.gov and click on the homepage link to find the Council nearest you.
WHAT KIND OF TRAINING SHOULD I TAKE?
In 95 percent of all emergencies, the victim or a bystander provides the first immediate assistance on the scene. Through the Citizen Corps programs and affiliates, you can prepare for emergencies by getting training in basic first aid and in Emergency Management Agency response skills.
There are no limits to how you can prepare and train for emergencies and help your community be safer.